There are people who have the money to afford a private interior designer or a professional to make home improvements, but most people seek affordable home improvement tips to make their home more cozy and inviting without having to burn a hole through their pocket.
Here are some fun and easy affordable home improvement ideas which you can apply at home to make you feel that it is more “home.”
Soft furnishings can make even the simplest of homes look more beautiful and inviting.
If you do not have the sewing abilities to make soft furnishings, you will find that great quality ones available at the stores are quite expensive. However, if you learn how to make them and buy your own materials, you will save a lot of money.
The fabric and color are two important key elements to make your soft furnishings work.
Here are some affordable home improvement soft furnishing suggestions:
Think of a scheme when you are planning to beautify your windows, considering the existing color scheme of the room from the wall paint to the furniture.
Scan through a variety of images and be inspired by their creations. Beginners can make simple curtains but if it is the right choice of color and fabric, it will look professionally made.
You will need curtain rods as the most basic part of window dressing, aside from the curtains themselves.
– Match the type of curtain rod to the scheme of the room. The more elegant the room, the more ornate the curtain rod.
– The type of fabric will also determine the type of rod, because a heavier fabric means a more secure rod.
Measure the windows beforehand to determine the length of fabric that you will need. To measure:
– Take two basic measurements to approximate the amount of fabric needed for the curtains.
– Calculate the width by determining the width of the track.
– Measure the top of the track and choose whether the curtains are to fall on the floor or just below the windowsill. It all really depends on what you want.
Create your own set of curtains (depending on the number of windows in one room) by following your desired design. If you are a beginner, it would be best to start with a simple design and move on to a more complex one after you get the hang of it.
Cushions and Cushion Covers
Cushions are easy, quick and affordable when you want your home to feel cozy and luxurious. You can match cushions with the seasons, your mood, or the events in your home.
There are many different types of cushions, and you can even use odd bits of trimmings and fabric remnants to make a lovely patchwork cushion that can be the highlight of your bed or sofa.
– Cushion covers can make even the cheapest of cushions look expensive.
– You can make complementing cushion covers and curtains to make the room look rich and grand.
– Add embellishments to special cushion covers such as frills and piping to your round and square cushion covers to make them even more attractive. You can also use ribbons, beads, and tassels to special cushion covers.
Your ideas of affordable home improvement are limitless. It is all a matter of imagination, practice, and resourcefulness to make your home a wonderful place to live in.